The Chrysler Building Is Bringing Back its Famed Restaurant—And Roof Deck With Unobstructed Manhattan Views

kolderal/Getty Images

Owner Aby Rosen is looking to revive the "Art Deco meets hunting lodge" hangout. 

New York's Chrysler Building will see the restoration of its iconic Cloud Club—and the addition of a shiny new observation deck—after the New York City Landmark Preservation Commission approved big new plans this week. 

Related: You Can Dine Inside a Bank Vault at This New York Steakhouse

Originally opened in 1930 as "the world's highest lunch club" on the building's 66th, 67th, and 68th floor, the Cloud Club operated as a speakeasy during Prohibition and attracted affluent regulars like E.F. Hutton, John D Rockefeller, and boxing legend Gene Tunney according to Lonely Planet. Designed in an "Art Deco meets hunting lodge" style, the original sky-high space featured a lounge, dining rooms, barbershop, and a locker room with sneak cabinets for hiding booze until it closed in 1979.

Now Aby Rosen’s RFR Realty, which bought the Art Deco landmark last year for $151 million, presented its proposal to revamp the skyscraper, placing the club on its 61st and 62nd floors instead. 


Whitney Publications/Courtesy The New York Public Library

The “extraordinary terraces” on the north and south sides of those floors have “unobstructed city views, and are within touching distance of (the) beautiful Art Deco eagles that perch on that level,” noted Sheldon Werdiger, the head of design and development for RFR in New York, during the hearing.

That's not all. According to 6sqft.com, the rest of the restoration plans focus on the 61st and 62nd floors, including adding glass panels on the south and north terraces, modifying existing terrace doors to make them accessible to the public, and removing and replacing existing windows with single-lite windows.

Related: The Best Restaurants in New York City

While there's no set open date yet, these plans couldn't come at a more apt time according to RFR. The Chrysler Building was completed during the Great Depression in 1930. “Now we come to you with the same optimism and enthusiasm to keep this building relevant into the future, during what we can say is our own current depression,” Werdiger added.