The Last Word on the US Open
Carvell Wallace on greatness, Serena, and the US Open’s best menswear.
"Jewels are my weakness; music my strength," says Jade Jagger. "I cannot live without a heady combination of the two." That should come as no surprise, given that Jagger, the recently appointed creative director of Garrard jewelry, also happens to be the daughter of a certain famous musician named Mick. The 33-year-old mother of two divides her time between the limelight (offices in London, a new Garrard salon in New York) and the shady beaches of her adopted island home of Ibiza. Between travels, Jagger jotted down some notes on the jewelry, music, and truffle risotto that rock her world.
I ALWAYS GO BACK TO
• Mr. Chow in New York for the chicken cashew sate.
• Mosaico in London for truffle risotto with the girls from the office.
• Can Reyet on Ibiza for lobster linguine.
I SHOP AT
• Moschino (for clothes).
• Viaduct in London (for furniture).
• Maisonette, also in London (for adorable cushions made from vintage silk scarves).
MY FAVORITE PIECES OF JEWELRY ARE
• My charms—especially the golden pineapple I bought in Jamaica and my silver Ganesha from India.
• A diamond "Wing" ring from Garrard.
• My 22-karat-gold Indian wedding anklets.
I'M NO TECHIE BUT I LOVE
The Bang & Olufsen TV in my bedroom, the Aga in my kitchen, and my Pioneer CD mixers.
I NEVER TRAVEL WITHOUT
An old Jade Inc. tote, Sisley Eau Florale face spray, Dr. Hauschka lip balm, and trashy magazines.
I CAN'T RESIST
Heat magazine. It's a guilty pleasure, but it really is important that I know everything about what celebrities are wearing.
I ADORE OVERNIGHTING AT
• Rajvilas in Jaipur.
• The Mercer in New York. It's right near my office on Spring Street, so I can just wake up, have a cappuccino, and be at work in a minute.
• Claridge's in London. I could live quite happily in one of its modest suites. I held my 30th birthday there in the gorgeous Deco bar.
I'M NEVER WITHOUT
My iPod, my Sony Ericsson p900 phone, and my Birkin bag, which is a giant magnet for everything I own.
ON MY IPOD RIGHT NOW
Eve's last album, Eve-Olution, and a Tony Touch compilation of hip-hop and R&B.
I WOULD LOVE TO OWN
Anything by Ross Bleckner.
Parties where canapés pass for dinner.
ON MY BEDSIDE TABLE IS
The Marquis de Sade: A Life by Neil Schaeffer.
AIRLINES SHOULD PROVIDE
Worry beads and hypnosis for passengers scared of flying (like me).
I START EACH DAY . . .
With a kung fu session.
. . . AND END IT
Sitting in bed with a sketch pad and a pencil, listening to music, and sipping a cup of really good verveine tea.