Gourmet to go A landmark of St. Basil’s stature, Elisyevsky, Moscow’s legendary food emporium, was built in the late 1700s and became the place to be seen among the Russian aristocracy. By the end of the 19th century it had been, at turns, a school for children, a fashion store, and an expensive apartment complex. In 1898 St. Petersburg millionaire Grigory Eliseyev acquired and renovated the building. Moscow was stunned by what emerged: luxurious interiors that housed a never-before-seen abundance of sundries—tins of caviar, specialty chocolates, and rows of gleaming smoked fish. The gold-plated moldings on the walls and massive crystal chandeliers bring to mind Versailles more than they do a Russian gourmet store. At 14 Ulitsa Tverskaya.