Already one of our favorite ways to fly, Virgin Atlantic Airways' Upper Class service continues to tinker with the formula, giving us five more reasons to love the transatlantic haul.
1. Drive-through service allows you to check in without ever leaving the car. Call the airline for a pickup; the driver then lets the airport know you're en route. Once you arrive, roll down the window, hand over your e-ticket, and receive your boarding pass. The car then deposits you at the Fast Track immigration desk, where the staff inspects the luggage while you stroll on through to the Virgin Clubhouse. The service is available in London on flights from Heathrow and Gatwick to any U.S. city.
2. The Virgin Touch Salon, at Heathrow's terminal 3 (where later this year the airline will unveil a totally revamped clubhouse), dispenses complimentary spa treatments, such as manicures, blow-dries, and 30-minute massages.
3. The Revivals lounge in Heathrow's terminal 3 offers private showers, changing rooms, shirt pressing, and shoeshines—gratis.
4. The newly designed flat beds (the biggest in the business) are sleek and cocoonlike. They feature a clever mechanism that turns your bed into a table, providing a second seat for a visiting passenger.
5. The double-bed suite in the Upper Class cabin has a fleet of freshly minted sleepers that can accommodate two people lying side by side—a vast improvement on the conventional head-to-toe loungers à deux.