Highlight Reel: Art Basel Miami Beach
Nothing transforms a city quite like Art Basel, and the upcoming Miami South Beach edition is no exception. Hundreds of events, local restaurant and hotel openings and a slew of surrounding art fairs will pop up this week (December 2–8; artbasel.com). From VIP affairs to the show’s newest sector, here’s a handful of happenings to keep on your radar.
• Don’t miss a new sector of the fair devoted to editioned works, prints and multiples. “We are formalizing something we had already been offering,” says Art Basel director Marc Spiegler. “Editions are a great entry point to collecting because they allow people to collect work by artists at lower prices. And there is a highly specialized collecting scene for multiples.” Thirteen galleries will participate, including Pace Prints (New York) and Niels Borch Jensen (Berlin), with works by Cindy Sherman, Chuck Close (pictured above) and more. 300 W. 41st St., Ste. 214; artbasel.com.
• Fusion MIA Fair will launch its inaugural display of African and Latin artists on December 3 with an invitation-only First Look fête, with music by the Miami Symphony Orchestra. A series of events will follow through December 7, including an awards ceremony and a lecture series. 22nd St. and NW Second Ave.; fusionmia.com.
• As Maserati celebrates the debut of its new Ghibli, it will also host an opening-night VIP toast at the Pérez Art Museum Miami’s new facility (December 5, 7–10 p.m.; 1103 Biscayne Blvd.; pamm.org) and will sponsor a VIP lounge at Art Miami (3101 NE First Ave.; art-miami.com) with events like a symposium on collecting art by women and a brunch for museum professionals and curators.
• On December 4, Berluti CEO Antoine Arnault will unveil the newest collaboration between the men’s fashion house and furniture designer Maarten Baas. The four pieces Baas created for the label include a valet, two mirrors and a chaise longue. The items will be on display at Berluti’s Miami boutique for the duration of Art Basel. 161 NE 40th St.; 305-573-4170; berluti.com.
• A parade of other fairs joins Art Basel, including Scope (December 3–8; scope-art.com), Red Dot (December 3–8; reddotfair.com), PULSE (December 5–8; pulse-art.com) and Design Miami (December 4–8; designmiami.com). Look out for the retrospective of famed fashion photographer Marco Glaviano showing new limited-edition, large-scale versions of his black-and-white images of supermodel Cindy Crawford, now printed on canvas and sprinkled with diamond dust. “I believe that after so many years, these are the most iconic pictures of the supermodel era,” Glaviano says. The opening reception will be held at the dedicated CC Lounge during the Art Miami / Context VIP preview (December 3), and the retrospective will remain on view there for the duration of the fair. 3101 NE First Ave.; art-miami.com.