- Uber-Manhattanite Woody Allen opens the Cannes Film Festival on May 11 with his 41st feature, Midnight in Paris, starring Rachel McAdams, Marion Cotillard and the First Lady of France.
- Ralph Lauren turns Paris’s Musée des Arts Décoratifs into a garage with 17 of his cars, including a ’38 Bugatti. April 28–August 28
- The New Museum’s Festival of Ideas for a New City turns downtown Manhattan arty again…for a weekend. May 7–8
- Jo Nesbø, author of the new book The Snowman, is a good Nordic writer. Let the Stieg Larsson comparisons begin! May 10
- There’s a there there at SFMOMA, where Gertrude Stein’s rarely seen art collection is displayed. May 21
- Simon Schama, the archbishop of Canterbury and Bob Geldof (!) appear at the Hay Festival in Hay-on-Wye, Wales. May 26–June 5
- Follow the art caravan east to the red-hot Hong Kong Art Fair, a boon for up-and-coming artists and savvy collectors. May 26–29
- Sam Mendes directs Kevin Spacey in Richard III at Old Vic. Call it American Beauty Redux. Starts June 18
- Spider-Man, with a new director and months of preparation, finally opens…or does it?
Cultural Highlights: Spring 2011
From Cannes to the Hong Kong Art Fair, our picks for the season.