Art Basel Party Countdown: 10 Events on Friday
Courtesy Veuve Clicquot.
Days after collector Adam Lindemann vowed to boycott Art Basel Miami Beach calling it "a sensory and social overload" and lambasted the whole event in an article titled "Occupy Art Basel Miami Beach, Now!" he's walking around NADA, arguably the largest satellite fair of the week. After greeting the Schnabels, who are walking around with actress Catherine Zeta-Jones, he points out some of his favorite pieces and projects what will kind of art will boom next. "I'm feeling a ceramic thing coming," he says as he walks through Nicole Klagsburn's gallery and admires the ceramic sculpture. "Marianne Boesky at the main fair had ceramics too." He also points to a Jeremy Shaw 'aura' work he likes for $4,500 at Blanket Contemporary. "$4,500?," he asks gallerist Sarah Macauley, in shock. "How can you afford to be here?" Lindemann has yet to buy anything this week so far, and while he calls the up-and-coming fairs "an orgy for the eyes," he says the art here is "real." "Whether you like it or not it's the real deal. It's helping artists achieve a broader audience as opposed to the overly commercial approach to the main fair, which looks like it's past its expiration date." Check out what else Lindemann liked at adamlindemann.com. And below, check out the parties everyone but Lindemann is going to today.
10. Exhibition A presents murals by artist Richard Phillips for the Whitney Museum’s Youth Insights program.
9. Chicago-based artists Dzine and a team of manicurists will set up shop at his installation at the Standard, and then party at the Standard Spa.
8. ArtNexus hosts its 10th annual cocktail party at Cecconi’s at Soho Beach House.
7. Designer Joseph Altuzzara talks at Design Miami.
6. Nigel Barker hosts a premiere screening of Dreams Are Not Forgotten, a documentary film about Haiti, at the Soho Beach House.
5. Theophilus London and Young The Giants play poolside at the Shelborne South Beach.
4. Emporio Armani and Cardi Black Box Gallery celebrate Art Basel at the W South Beach.
3. VMAN, the Webster and Dean and Dan Caten of DSQUARED team up for a cocktail party at followed by a VIP dinner at their boutique.
2. Sean “Diddy” Combs and Andy Valmorbida honor artist Raphael Mazzucco and his new book, Culo by Mazzucco, at Mr. Chow at the W South Beach
1. CAN’T MISS: Veuve Clicquot all day. First, in a golden mobile food truck, the Veuve Clicquot Clicq'Up Lounge and Champagne Bar will drive around Design Miami serving crispy white corn cakes with poached egg and chipotle cream, curry pork tacos and conch salad. Later they’ll sponsor Design Miami’s Designer of the Year dinner honoring David Adjaye.